Sunday, February 22, 2009

Which ad solicited the highest response?


These ads appeared next to each other when I asked Google to define "part and parcel" and I followed an idioms link. (Don't ask.)

Here is an excellent example of an AdWords test, though I didn't expect to see them side by side. It certainly makes me wonder which ad receives the higher response.

It also makes me think there is a level of marketing analysis that I'm missing. What do people respond to? What makes them click the link? What turns a click into a purchase?

I suppose in order to answer those questions, I'd have to stay in grad school a while longer. But I am curious about the psychological workings that influence and push consumer behavior.

I would like to think that people are surprising and difficult to predict, even in this day of instant feedback. Am I wrong? Has anyone stumbled upon the secret code to consumer behavior? (I can tell you it is not revealed in the book Groundswell.)

2 comments:

  1. I'll give you a hint: Young, well-toned woman pinching her midriff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think? I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the pudgy midriff attracted more attention. I should restate that, I'd bet the second ad got more clicks. I have absolutely nothing to base that on—I'd be interested to see the analytics.

    ReplyDelete