Thursday, January 8, 2009

Oregon at Work book cover



I am designing the Ooligan Press title Oregon at Work: 1859–2009. I'm almost finished with the interior which means that I must revisit the cover design before we go to press. The top image is the original cover (full jacket design) that was approved by the Executive Committee with some reservations. Suggestions were made to look for one or two photos that would  improve the diversity, include a broad range of industry, and expand the timeline represented on the cover.

I'm afraid I only managed two of the three requests. I replaced the miners on the back with the welder (I found a good spot in the interior for the miners). It gives me a modern photo, but it also gives me an action shot. I replaced the three guys on horseback with the timber photo. I love the photo, but it is difficult to tell what the guys on horseback do for work. I think the timber photo is impressive, but I will miss those horses. I hear animals on the cover really help to sell a book.

I would appreciate any feedback you might have about the changes. The press date is looming large, but there's still a little time left.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the horse, but I agree that the logging picture is more pertinent. I also think that it might help to sell the book. When doing market research for the book, we found a bunch of logging magazines that might be more inclined to review or promote the book because it has loggers on it. I really think you did a fantastic job on this cover and interior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the right choices. The new photos also help by adding some darker shades among the various pictures. I remember some talk in that Executive Meeting about gender and racial diversity, which is tough to accomplish in a state where so much history has been ignored, at least officially. You might also post a couple pages of the interior to give people a preview. We met with Tom Fuller today and he was very supportive of your design.

    ReplyDelete